UA-177943593-1 MULTI RANGE (OR) EXTENDING THE RANGE OF DC AMMETER

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

MULTI RANGE (OR) EXTENDING THE RANGE OF DC AMMETER

 

The current range of the dc ammeter may be further extended by a number of shunts, selected by a range switch. Such meter is called a multi range ammeter.

The multi range ammeter as shown in below figure.

Figure shows in multi range ammeter

The circuit has four shunts,R1, R2, R3 and R4 which can be placed in parallel with the movement to give four different current ranges I1,,I2,,I3 and I4.

 R1=Im Rm / I1-Im for current range I1;

R2= Im Rm/ I2-Im for current range I2;

R3= Im Rm/ I3-Im for current range I3;

R4= Im Rm/ I4-Im for current range I4.

Switch “S” is a multi position switch, make before break type switch. It is used for range changing. This switch protects the meter movement from being damaged without a shunt during range changing.

Multi range ammeters are used for ranges up to 50A. When using a multi range ammeter, first use the highest current range, then decrease the range until good upscale reading is obtained. The resistance used for the various a ranges are of very high precision values, hence the cost of the meter increases.

Post a Comment

0 Comments